ABOUT ME

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Zeitgeist Movie

Well, I finally got to see "Zeitgeist: The Movie."  Several weeks ago I found a flier for this movie tacked up on a telephone pole by my back gate where I go out to my car and leave my recycling/trash.  It was pointedly facing my back door so I kind of figured whoever put it up knew I would want to see The movie.  I wasn't able to make that viewing and when I tried to watch it online, I was too technically challenged to pull it off.  But on AmpedStatus' network someone started a Zeitgeist Group and I checked it out.  They actually had it there to watch.  It is over two hours long but is pretty inspiring and informative.  I'm not sure I quite agree with some of their vision for a better future, not that it isn't fine but I tend to see a need for a more "local" focus for farming and production and possibly a bit more hands on than the writers of the movie.  I kind of think working with the physical world with your own two hands is rewarding, good for the brain and good for your spirit. 
I find many comments on the website to be a bit negative, focusing on how angry and frustrated people feel but not on a vision for how things can be better.  In response I left this comment about the "the rich guys" in power:
"Remember, their "money" is basically only paper for their game of power. WE are the ones who run the country. WE feed one another. We care for one another. We make what we need. We serve each other. We clean.  We renovate.  We teach. We learn. We repair, make, grow things, nurture.  We care for the weak.  We heal. We run the infrastructure. We drive the equipment, mine the metals, run what factories are left, build the buildings. We do the work. Most of us work for small businesses owned and staffed by our neighbors. “THEY” don’t produce anything. We need a great deal less than “they” have convinced us we must have. Most of all, we don’t need them.
They cannot sell us those things most important for our happiness and well being such as security, interdependence, healthy food, good rewarding work, being needed and respected by our community, a sense of value or self worth, community, mental and physical health, safety from violence and war, peace, time with our children and friends, a healthy planet or biosphere. But we can provide these things. As a country, we have the knowledge, the know how.  We need to spread a different “story” than the one we have been told for several centuries. We need to imagine a different reality. We need to remember what the we the people do every day. A revolution doesn’t help that much if we don’t know where we are going. Help others see our potential."

I just watched the first one below so I don't know about the others.  If you go to AmpedStatus.org  they say there are six.
YouTube sources:
Zeitgeist: The Movie (2006): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guXirzknYYE (updated in 2010)
Zeitgeist: Addendum (2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EewGMBOB4Gg
Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (2011): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9WVZddH9w
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com provides links to Vimeo sources for all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment